The Florida Literacy Coalition is proud to announce the launch of the 15th Annual Adult Learner Writing Campaign! Students from throughout Florida are invited to submit original short stories, poems, or autobiographical narratives to be included in a published book that will debut at the 2019 Florida Literacy Conference.
The goal of this book is to allow adult learners the opportunity to build confidence while also improving their reading, writing, and critical thinking skills. Organizational representatives can use this book as a way to promote how their programs are having a positive influence within their communities.
Adult learners and their tutors/teachers are encouraged to work together in writing, typing, editing, and submitting a written piece. We ask that completed essays be submitted along with the completed online form.
We recommend students choose from one of the following topics:
List of topics:
- My Bravest Moment
- The Best Advice I Have Ever Received
- My Experience in Adult Education
- A Turning Point in My Life
- My Goals and Ambitions
- My Favorite Place
- Why Voting is Important to Me
- How Life in my Home Country Differs from Life in the US
- Someone I Admire
- What the American Dream Means to Me
- Personal Story
- Original Poetry
- My Favorite Day
Submissions should be no longer than 475 words. Space in the book is limited and entries will be edited for readability. Authors can choose to remain anonymous or have a short biographical paragraph included with their submission. Please limit to one submission per adult learner. Each author who is included will be invited to the Florida Literacy Conference and will also receive a free copy of the book. Free copies of the book will also be made available to all participating adult education and literacy programs. Please feel free to distribute this announcement widely throughout your program. Submission Deadline February 20, 2019.
Eligibility: FLC welcomes essays from current or recent students enrolled in adult basic education, GED, adult literacy or family literacy programs located in Florida.
Once the essay has been completed to the satisfaction of the student, please follow these steps:
- Follow this link to the online form.
- Complete the form and attach the completed student essay and bio in a Microsoft Word document. This is done by using the Browse Button to find the essay document on your computer and then selecting the upload button.
- Once completed, click the submit button.
- A confirmation page will appear, confirming that we have received your submission.
For sample lesson plans, activities, and webinars on integrating writing into instruction, please visit FLC's Writing Resource Page.
To read previous editions of the adult learner essay book, visit our Essay Book Page.
If you have any questions please contact Nicole Caban: firstname.lastname@example.org.