The Florida Literacy Coalition (FLC) is proud to partner with Wells Fargo in establishing a statewide financial literacy program for students in adult education/literacy, ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) and family literacy programs. This initiative supports the integration of literacy and math instruction and financial education, promoting a contextualized approach to learning.
The 2019 grant application process is now closed. Please check back in May 2020 for next year's application requirements. The 2019 application guidelines are below:
Prospective Application Webinar
This webinar was held on July 9th. Click here to view webinar slides.
|Florida Financial Literacy Initiative Grant Recipients
Congratulations to the 2019 Financial Literacy Grant Recipients:
2018 Grant Recipients:
2017-18 Florida Financial Literacy Initiative End-of-Year Results
Eight mini-grants were dispersed to organizations throughout Florida in a competitive process for the 2017-18 program year. During this year, more than 1,200 students were served through the Initiative. This brings our total number to 3,700 students served.
|Reporting Documents and Guidelines
Financial Literacy grantees are asked to submit a mid-year and end of year report. The guidelines and deadlines are listed below. In addition to the narrative (which should be submitted digitally), grantees are asked to submit data collection forms after a course has been completed. All grantees are expected to use the assessments and surveys below.
Reporting deadlines for 2018 Grants
Mid-year report: Due April 16, 2019
End-of-year report: Due October 26, 2019
Print Version Data Collection Forms
Electronic Version Data Collection Forms
Florida Literacy Coalition
ATTN: Financial Literacy
235 S. Maitland Avenue
Maitland, FL 32751
Project-based learning (PBL) is a collaborative approach to teaching in which learners are placed in realistic situations that require them to actively use the skills and information they have gained in the classroom to accomplish the project goals.
This type of learning helps students to acquire a deeper understanding of topic. The best projects are those that have an impact outside of the classroom so students feel that their efforts are making a difference for others. The benefits of PBL include:
- Improves student confidence
- Provides the opportunity to practice skills, problem-solving, and communication in a safe environment.
- Increases personal and professional success
- Illustrates connection between the classroom and real life experiences
- Provides the instructor with feedback on the effectiveness of lesson plans
- Meets the needs of learners with varying skill levels and learning styles
Examples of PBL Activities
Financial Reality Fair
- Experiential learning activity in which students apply the financial literacy information and skills gained in class. Students visit different booths to obtain needed services and budget for what they can afford based on their assigned income.
- Invite community partners to host information booths that give students the opportunity to sign-up for bank accounts, choose health care policies, apply for a job, find affordable housing and budget for other needs including utilities, groceries, daycare, cell phones, etc.
Mock Bank Simulation
- Set up a mock bank in which students play the roles of bank teller, loan officer, account managers, customers, etc.
- Customers will be required to open a new accounts, deposit money, withdraw money, and write checks. Bank employees will be required to explain the process to the customer and process all transactions.
Group Research Projects
Student Store Project
- Have students set up a mock store in order to practice budgeting and money management skills.
- Students at Broward County Community Schools developed a Village Boutique thrift store, which provided students with the opportunity to design and stock the boutique as well as to use their new financial literacy skills to save and budget to buy items at the store. Visit https://padlet.com/nicole_laine/villageboutique2017 for more information and photos of this innovative project.